Random Blog Post #2 - Hamilton

Growing up in New York City, I have had the privilege of seeing numerous musicals on Broadway with my family. My favorite musicals include Come From Away, Book of Mormon, Les Misérables, and Dear Evan Hansen. However, one musical that absolutely blew it out of the park was Hamilton created by the Singer-songwriter and Actor Lin-Manuel Miranda. Hamilton is a brilliant musical that utilizes hip-hop/rap to tell the revolutionary story of the United States during the 18th and 19th century. What stands out about Hamilton is that it differs from traditional musical theater as it appeals to an audience that isn’t particularly fond of musicals by incorporating a popular genre of music. While I enjoyed studying history in school, Hamilton completely brought this portion of American history to life in my mind.



The storytelling and catchy lyrics of this musical draw in the audience to listen to the story of Alexander Hamilton’s life and his involvement during the American Revolutionary War. You don’t have to like history, especially American history, to appreciate this masterpiece. You will experience a rollercoaster of twists and turns, exhilarating highs, and heartbreaking lows while exploring themes of love, loss, power, ambition, and identity. With this musical, Lin-Manuel Miranda casts actors of color and actors from diverse backgrounds to reclaim historical narratives and highlight their contribution to American history that has been erased. Lin-Manuel Miranda, an immigrant himself, tries to create a powerful story that resonates with the audience by emphasizing the perspective of the immigrant experience that unquestionably shaped America into what it is today. Many of the musical’s songs succinctly weave in important messages about the immigrant experience. In the infamous song “My Shot,” Alexander Hamilton repeats the mantra, “I am not throwing away my shot, I am not throwing away my shot! Hey yo, I’m just like my country, I'm young, scrappy, and hungry, And I’m not throwing away my shot!” Lin-Manuel Miranda speaks to a sense of ambition and drive to create something of himself and make his mark. These brilliant lyrics capture the immigrant spirit and highlight Hamilton’s determined and courageous persona. 


While every song in this musical is well worth listening to, “Satisfied” sung by Angelica Schuyler is my favorite. “Satisfied” sheds light on the complex relationship Angelica Schuyler has with Alexander Hamilton. Throughout the song, we learn about her unrequited love for Hamilton and the sacrifice she had to make so her sister Eliza could marry him. Additionally, the blocking and choreography during this musical number are visually striking and allow Angelica to look introspectively into past events and comment on them. During the “rewind” portion of the song, Lin-Manuel Miranda acutely guides the audience through these past sequences of her life to create a clever and powerful production. 


Overall, Hamilton’s storytelling, lyrics, and choreography make it a stand-out musical that is 100% worth seeing.


Comments

  1. Hey Sophia! I wanted to drop a comment on your post as I thought is was extremely insightful. Specifically, I really liked how you pinpointed specific instances within the musical that made it stand out to you as it really showcased your knack for analyzing top musicals. Personally, by growing up in the middle east, my exposure to musicals have been limited, however, after seeing Macbeth in London for my first time my family and I really found our new bonding activity. After graduation, I will be going to New York with my family and will definitely recommend Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophia! To be honest I have never been a big fan of theater but I have always wanted to see Hamilton just because of the amazing reviews I have heard and the short clips on TikTok and YouTube that I have seen from the show. It is definitely something I want to see next time I'm in NYC. Whenever I go, I never go to Broadway to see any shows but next time, maybe I will see Hamilton. When I was studying abroad in London, our program sent us to a few different theater shows for free and I liked Les Miserable more than I liked most theater shows that I have seen, so I have high hopes for Hamilton because I have heard even better things about this play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophia! I really loved your post overall! Growing up in LA and visiting NYC during my mom's work trips as a kid also gave me the privilege of seeing numerous remarkable musicals. Some of my favorites include The Phantom of the Opera, Come From Away, Les Misérables, Finding Neverland, Wicked, Newsies, and, of course, Hamilton. I really liked your explanation of how Lin-Manuel Miranda tells Hamilton's story via catchy songs while also highlighting the often forgotten voices in history through his diverse casting. I always find it fascinating Miranda uses his works to draw attention to and share messages about the immigrant experience in both Hamilton and his movie "In the Heights."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sophia, I loved reading your post as a fellow Hamil-stan! I've also grown up loving musical theatre and theatre in general. I agree that Hamilton in particular stood out for Lin Manuel Miranda's unique style and emphasis on hip-hop styled music rather than traditional broadway music. He found a way to tell Alexander Hamilton's story in an entertaining and engaging way while also making us empathize with and understand Aaron Burr more! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sophia, thank you for your post! Likewise, Hamilton is still my favorite musical by far. I’ve also seen Cats, Wicked, Lion King, and Les Mis. To me, Hamilton is one of the most emotional tale I’ve experienced even though it is centered around serious topics such as politics. I’m not even American and barely lived in the U.S, but I almost developed a strong sense of patriotism towards the country after watching Hamilton. That’s how I knew the musical was good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sophia, I really enjoyed reading your post! I watched a recorded version of Hamilton for a GE class I took and was blown away by it. It is incredibly unique and the music is great. I can only imagine what it was like to watch Hamilton live on Broadway! If I visit New York again and it's playing I will definitely make a point of seeing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment