Book 2, Post 1: How to Grow an Unshakable Core by Dr. Rick Hanson.
For Book 2, I chose to read How to Grow an Unshakable Core by Dr. Rick Hanson.
Two of the darkest moments in my life were during the Covid-19 pandemic and the beginning of my Freshman year at the University of Southern California. During these tough times, I felt lost and hopeless, as I struggled with anxiety and depression. The first time I encountered this type of sadness and worry was when the Covid-19 pandemic presented an unprecedented challenge to human society. For months I was isolated in my room, unable to socialize with friends and family. Zoom school felt pointless and the lack of extracurriculars made me lose all motivation. The once hardworking, multifaceted girl felt completely lost and I was essentially left in my room to do nothing all day. Once we transitioned back to in-person school, I felt myself regain my joy for life. However, once my Freshman year of college began I quickly fell down that dark hole again. I fell ill with imposter syndrome and ruminated about my future almost every second of every day. It felt like an endless loop of self-doubt and despair with no end in sight. I did, however, manage to cling to a sliver of hope despite everything, knowing that things would improve with time.
While my resiliency has undoubtedly strengthened by enduring these challenging moments in my life, I still find myself battling self-doubt and self-confidence daily. So, when I came across How to Grow an Unshakable Core by Dr. Rick Hanson I knew this read would help me become a calmer, stronger, and happier person. Upon glancing at the book, I was intrigued by how Hanson formatted the book. He prefaces the readers by saying different things work for different people so he gives us a lot of options so we find what resources and tools work best for us. Additionally, he provides his explanations and resources in simple terms, leaving out confusing neurological information that may bore his readers. One last thing I noticed was that Hanson provides a list of key points at the end of each of his chapters, summarizing the main ideas he covered. I think the layout of this is helpful to someone who is intimidated by this book and making changes in their everyday life. I am excited to jump in and learn about becoming a more resilient and compassionate person and implementing more practical steps to do so.
Comments
Post a Comment