Blog Post 1: Putting the Rabbit in the Hat


I chose to read the acclaimed rags-to-riches story Putting the Rabbit in the Hat by actor Brian Cox. I recently just started watching HBO’s Succession and am absolutely loving how witty and cynical it is. Prior to picking up this book, I knew Brian Cox was a Golden Globe Award Winner for Best Actor in a Drama Series, however I was surprised to read that Cox faced different adversities throughout his life. I decided to read Cox’s autobiography because I wanted to learn more about his upbringing and how it has shaped him into the man and actor he is today. I hope to learn more about the challenging journey of becoming an actor and gain a deeper understanding of the hardships life might throw at you. 


What has been particularly fascinating about Cox’s autobiography is how vulnerable he is with his audience. In the first couple chapters, Cox talks about his Father’s passing, his Mother’s subsequent decline in mental health, and his shortcomings as a Father himself. Cox not only describes these events in his life but relates them back to how he has suffered and been shaped as a person. He exclaims that he would never go back to live in Dundee (the city he grew up in) but it “reminds me of the gift I’ve been given, because my upbringing is so much a part of me it’s written through me like words through a stick of rock; it informs my overall vision of being bona fide, of being legitimate, of trying to do what does me good, even when it’s been enormously difficult (51). Cox doesn’t sugarcoat anything, and I think that is what I like best about his writing style. He is direct and honest with his reader, which makes his life story relatable with his readers. Moreover, the flow of Cox’s autobiography is unconventional, as he tells his story in a nonlinear format. Cox integrates multiple stories from different moments in his life to create a compelling story that I think works nicely for this autobiography. Moving forward, I am eager to learn more about Cox’s numerous acting roles throughout his life.

Comments