Birthday Celebrations: Igniting Childhood Joy
Birthday Celebrations: Igniting Childhood Joy
Last Thursday on February 22nd, I celebrated my 20th Birthday! Birthdays, for me, have always represented a time to celebrate life and look back at all that I have accomplished so far. However, as I transition into adulthood, the allure of birthdays has begun to fade.
Enchantment of Childhood Birthdays:
As a child, I was privileged to always have my birthday celebrated by my friends and family. I eagerly anticipated the arrival of my birthday because it was a day filled with boundless joy that made me feel so special and cherished. An atmosphere of sheer delight and celebration was created by the excitement of unwrapping gifts, the sweetness of indulging in cake, and the laughter and companionship of friends and family gathering together. With each passing year, I would get praised for how much knowledge I had gained and how much more mature I was. For most kids, Birthdays are associated with enchantment, excitement, and the possibility of new experiences.
Transitioning into Adulthood:
As I have gotten older, birthdays have looked a little different. Birthday parties in the park have turned into birthday dinners with close friends over close family members. Instead of opening the next new trendy toy wrapped in fun-colored wrapping paper, I have become accustomed to receiving money or Starbucks gift cards hidden in birthday cards. While I am so grateful to be celebrated on my birthday, the element of surprise and pure excitement has slowly died out as I have gotten older. With each passing year, I try to channel that inner child joy but it has become challenging when I find myself faced with the realization that I am in the real world now (well almost). I remember telling my babysitter as a little girl how I longed to be in my 20s. She responded back by asking me why? I exclaimed to her how I wanted to be independent and not have to rely on anyone. She chuckled and said how all she wished for was to be a kid again. Turning 20 has made me engage in some deep reflection: Though I have gained a deeper understanding of myself and the world around me I wanted to incorporate more childhood joy and playfulness into my life.
Reclaiming That Childhood Wonder:
To ignite that childhood excitement of birthdays again, I have made it my mission to have a surprise birthday party for all of my friends this year. This past Wednesday it was my friend Catcher’s birthday and I decided to text all of his friends asking if they wanted to be a part of his surprise birthday and pitch in on a gift for him. We bought big Happy Birthday balloons, a blue streamer, and a bonsai tree (because he has wanted one for the longest time). We all came together to blow up the balloons and wrap his present for him to see when the clock struck 12 on February 28th. Along with the surprise we incorporated a scavenger hunt leading him to his favorite (or most stayed at) places on campus. He started at Leavey library, then headed to the Ministry of Coffee, and then the village, Illium lounge, and back to his room where we all surprised him. Each of his friends was waiting for him at one of these locations and gave him a card with a riddle on it. At 12:00 pm we were all waiting for him in his room to celebrate! The scavenger hunt and birthday surprise ignited some of that childhood spirit that we all long for, especially in college when life may seem lonely at times.While birthdays may bring sadness as the carefree of childhood may fade, let’s make it an effort to incorporate more of that childhood joy into our birthday celebrations!
Comments
Post a Comment